The Travels of John Prideaux 1900. Cornwall to London.

The Travels of John Prideaux. 1900 London.

July 1st

Up at 7. Breakfast at 9, at 10.30 am we left for City Road Wesley Chapel.
We rode from Pancreas Church to opposite Wesley Chapel Gate. For half an hour, we walked about the grave yard visiting the tombs of prominent men and ministers. We took a good view of Wesley’s Tomb, a fine piece of granite work which enclosed several of the Wesleys and Dr. Adam Clarks by its side. We were then given a seat of our choice in the Gallery of the large Chapel. Service began a 11 am by singing the hymn, ‘Jesus we look to thee,’ and to tune, Dennis SM all sung heartily and then we went through most of the Episcopal Service except the Litany. This was sung a hymn to tune Platts Hymn. After which the chair sung the Te Deum Laudamus well and strong about 20 voices. The Gallery is horseshoe shape. The organ was divided in two parts one in each end of the Gallery. The organist sat and played from down in front of the Minister with the choir on either side. The Old Wesley Pulpit still in use.
The Rev R S Joice a delegate to the General Conference held at Chicago in May and from Australia preached a good sermon from John 15 – 8 verse. ‘Herein is my Father glorified that you bear much fruit.’
After the Service we made our acquaintance with the Minister and met a prominent Steward who led in the Service in reading the prayers. We got good friends very soon and he said that his niece was soon to be married to a Prideaux from Camborne. After signing our names in the visitor’s book in the vestry and looking at many things we reached Mrs Dynes at 1.30 pm had dinner at once and rested till 5 pm. We then had tea and at 5.45 left for New North Road Wesleyan Church. Arrived there when the first hymn was being sung. The Service began at 6.30. We heard this same Mr Joice preach that we heard in the morning at City Road. His text was Psalm 119 and 164 verses, ‘Great Peace have they that keep thy Law.’
The Church is about the size of City Road only more modern. The Gallery horseshoe shape and a recess for the organ in the Gallery with Choir chairs in front. The Pulpit is of platform patterns the back of which joins the chair left in front of the organ. The Sermon was good, the congregation fine and the choir excellent.
After the service we again spoke to the Minister Mr Joice and to the Pastor of the Church who greeted us heartily. (Rev Mr Wood.) who said he had been Minister there for the past nine years. We then walked to the Angle (1/2 mile) and took Bus. Arrived at Mrs Dynes 9 pm and had supper. Mamma soon retired while I sat up to write my diary. I retired 11 pm.

Monday July 2nd

We got up at 7 o’clock. Just then Arthur returned from his trip to Paris Exhibition and went to his room and slept till 10 am. (We had breakfast 9 am.) When we went to his room and woke him and had Paris news for half an hour. Then he had his breakfast.

At 11.15 three of us left for Madame Tussauds and entered at 12 noon. It was grand to behold we stayed till 2.45 pm when we left and entered Regent Park and went straight to the Zoological Gardens and saw all kinds of animals. Birds and fishes. The ostrich and children riding on elephant’s back. At 4pm we saw the wild animals fed in their cages. We left for Mrs Dynes 5.55 after seeing many wonderful sights, too many to remember and arrived there 6.35. We had dinner at 7 pm and returned to our rooms, all well tired out. It was a wet and disagreeable day.

July 3rd

Up at 8. Breakfast at 9. Wrote to John H Pearce. At 10 am we three left for the British Museum. Stayed till 1.05 pm and took Bus to Charing Cross and walked from there to The Strand where we had lunch. At 2 pm we took train for Greenwich. We crossed the River Thames and saw the Tower Bridge and a glimpse of a part of the City of London from the elevated Railway. We saw a train come out of a tunnel under the River Thames.

At 2.45 we arrived at Mrs Chapman’s at Greenwich. A cup of tea was quickly passed to us.
At 3.15 under the guidance of Mrs Chapman’s two daughters we visited the Art Gallery and the Model Gallery where saw all kinds of ship models from the time of Henry the Eighth down to the present. Then we visited the Museum of the Naval College. From there we took Bus at Nelson St. and rode to Blackwell St. from which we entered the Thames tunnel and continuing on through till we came out at the Town of Poplar and then transferred to another Bus and rode back to the place of beginning. We entered the tunnel 4.30 pm and it took us fifteen minutes to ride through with the horses on a boat. As we left the Bus at 5 o’clock we visited the St. Alfred Church nearby for about 20 minutes in which were the Royal Pews and an old time Pipe Organ and the Memorial window of General Woolf of the English Army. We were also in the Royal Pews. We entered the Royal Park 5.35 and came out at the East Gate 6.35 after an hours pleasant and profitable stay.  Right outside of the East Gate is Blackheath. The village was in plain view with its many buildings and tall Church spires. From here we turned toward Mrs Chapman’s and arrived 7.10 pm. At 8 o’clock we entered the Dining Room and for dinner we had cold roast beef, custard pudding, lettuce and watercress also strawberries and cream. When we returned to the Parlour one Miss Chapman played the piano and the other Miss Chapman played the violin to the delight of Mrs Chapman her eldest daughter (married) Mrs Prideaux, Arthur and myself. The two Miss Chapmans accompanied us all afternoon and it was because of their kindness that we enjoyed ourselves and saw so much.
We saw in the Royal Park an old oak tree hollowed out with age in which Queen Elizabeth sat and the grand old twenty-four-hour clock which regulated the time of the world. We were entertained royally by Mrs Chapman and daughters at Greenwich.

We got our tickets for Charing Cross Station in time for 9.12 pm train but had not time to get on so took 9.42 train and arrived there at 10.12 pm. Then took Bus at St. Martins Church for Euston Road and got there 10.30. In ten minutes, we were at Mrs Dynes. On our way to the museum we passed the George Whitfield Memorial Church between twelve and one o’clock pm. It was built of red brick and has two low towers. We passed it again on our return from Greenwich.

There was a hard shower of rain while we were at the British Museum with thunder and lightning.
After writing up my diary I retired at 11.40. So ended July 3rd after committing myself to my Heavenly Father in prayer as usual.

July 4th

We got up 7.30 am (a lovely morning), breakfasted at 9 am at 9.45 we three left Mrs Dynes for the Crystal Palace. We travelled by Bus and Street Car and reached the Snow Hill Station in time for the 10.40 train and reached the Crystal Palace 11.30 am.
After visiting several stores or stalls and buying some articles we had our lunch. At 2 pm The Great Organ was played by Mr Walter H Hedgecock when we listened to some numbers. At 3.15 Arthur and I rode to the top of the North Tower of the Crystal by an elevator while Mamma waited below, where we had a view of the City of London from a great height of 280 feet. 4.23 We took train for Snow Hill Station and arrived at At 5.15 we visited the YMCA for a short time. At 6 o’clock we took underground railroad at Aldergate Street Station for Gower Street Station and got to Mrs Dines 6.30. Got ready for dinner at 7 pm after which we closed up for the day very tired and retired at 9. But Arthur went again to the YMCA. We saw the American Flag flying.

July 5th

Up at 7 am and breakfast at 8 am. At 8.45 Arthur, Mamma and I started for St Pauls Cathedral and entered 9.45. At ten o’clock the regular Divine Service began by the big Pipe Organ playing a short Voluntary and many boys and men came walking into their seats each having on a white surplus while all in the building stood up and the Minister began reading with an intoned voice.
Sir George Martin was Organist. The big Pipe Organ was divided into three parts and connected by electric wire, the larger part being over the Minister’s head and the choir sung well throughout the service. The prayers and service was mainly in behalf of the War in Africa which was pending.

The scenery of the Cathedral was wonderfully grand with its massive pillars and carved work. We stopped through the Service then Arthur went inside to a lecture for an hour while Mamma and I went to D Nicholson’s Store and other places and came back and met Arthur at the Cathedral 11.45 am.

At twelve o’clock we all went and had our lunch at Cheapside after which Mrs Prideaux and I walked to the Royal Exchange and to the Bank of England which is a heavy solid looking building and back while Arthur went to call on Sir George Williams, founder of the YMCA in London.

We agreed to meet Arthur 1.30 pm at St Pauls Cathedral but Arthur did not return till 2.40 because he accepted by Sir George Williams an invitation to dine with him and Lady Williams, also the Rev. Mr Joice a Minister from Australia.
At 2.45 we took Bus for the Tower of London and after viewing it for a short time Mamma and I took Bus for Charing Cross, walked three blocks to St Martins Church (Arthur stayed to go in the Tower.) which took 30 minutes from the Tower. From there we took Bus for Euston Road which took 15 minutes. We then walked a few blocks and took Bus for the Angle and then took another Bus for the Garden Square and got to Mrs Dynes at 6 pm. Had dinner 6.45 and rested for the day both well tired out. After dinner Arthur went to Piccadilly for a ride and to see the place by gaslight. We retired 9 pm.

July 6th

We got up at 7.45 am and had breakfast 8.30. We left Mrs Dynes to visit and see the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey. The Abbey is a wonderful building. It fills a person with wonder awe and amusement while we look at the magnificent arches, carvings and the many marble slabs and massive pillars that carry the roof. In this building is the Chapels and Tombs of the Royal Family. And the Great Statesmen such as Gladstone, Peel, Disraeli and a host of others have their graves here which are designated by marble slabs on the floor and many against the walls.
Divine Service is held here every day between the hours of 10 and 11 am and many visitors attend.
The service at this time was short not over half an hour. Mamma and I interested ourselves about the Abbey. At one pm after lunch we made a visit to the Parliament House. We went into its large Hall but were told it was not visitor’s day. We were shown the Abraham Lincoln Tower right across the Thames River. We walked around the beautiful grounds and noticed The Big Clock in the Tower of the Parliament House strike Two. “Big Ben.”
At 2.30 we took Bus for Hyde Park and after viewing the Lake and its surrounds and seeing Prince Alberts Memorial Tower at a distance and many other things. Mrs Prideaux and I took Bus for Euston Road and reached our Boarding Place. 4.15 pm Arthur went and I enjoyed himself seeing other sights.
At 7 pm Mr John H Pearce made us a call after which I wrote three letters and Mamma two. Then we did some of our packing and retired.

July 7th

We were up at 5.30 am and had breakfast seven o’clock. At 7.30 we took carriage for Waterloo Station (a lovely summer morning) and arrived 8 am. 8.30 we left by train and arrived at Southampton 10.30. We went on board Steam Ship St Pauls and left for New York at 12 o’clock noon. We did some changing of our money on the Dock before we left. We had dinner 2 pm after which Mamma and I went to our berths and had a nap. The country between London and Southampton is a lovely flat open farming district. From Southampton Dock, we sailed straight for Cherbourg, the chief seaport of France and took on passengers. From there the St Paul sailed down the English Channel and passed around Lands End point around midnight.